Sunday, August 18, 2013

Response to Genius Hour Introduction

After the EPIC day of introducing Genius Hour to my kids, I posted this response to both my personal Facebook page, and to our school "Compliments" page. (yes, I know, I must be crazy for being friends with my kids on Facebook. But my Facebook is for work, primarily, and I only post for work - and that includes personal posts of my hobbies/passions so that kids see what people can learn.)

To all of my current Latin students, 

Today was the best day I have had at school in 10 years. I've loved all of my students from year 0 to year 10, but today was the most inspiring, and the most amazing. Words cannot even begin to describe the amazingness that was today. Seeing your excitement over Genius Hour, talking with some of you about your ideas, and even some fears over the project, has been amazing. I cannot wait to take this journey with you. 

This year in general has been indescribably amazing. I love coming to work everyday because of you, and your amazingness. I am made a better teacher by you - not only from being in the classroom and watching you grow, but by wanting to be the best teacher in the world because that is what each and every one of you deserve. 

I cannot wait to see you all again on Monday! Have a great weekend! 

Geese

And it started this conversation:


STU: Magistra, I think I speak for myself and all of your other student when I say your class period today was the best one we have ever had. You have helped us open our minds and expand our horizons. I only wish that every student had the opportunity to have a teacher as amazing as you: Who knows what the world could look like.

Me: I did very little, other than talk a lot.  However, the world could look like a lot of things... but I believe in you so much, I want to ask, what will the world look like at the end of this year???

STU: It will look like a world with lots of 15 16 and 17 year old handprints and impacts, which is only the start:) oh! And lots of student who have a different view on education who believe in themselves and in what they can do for this world


I am totally NOT trying to toot my own horn here... it isn't about me. It's about a student who was inspired, who wants to make a difference, and now feels like she can.

If I didn't totally believe in the power of this activity before, I think that response alone would have convinced me.

I am so excited!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't this WHY we teach?! SOOOO excited for you and your students this year!! May you have many days much like this! Thank you for documenting them here for us to read and stay inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It so is... this is hands down why I teach. I got into teaching because I love talking about Latin and sharing my passion for it, but I stay every year and get more excited because kids are amazing they make me better. My job is not a job, it's a privilege. I know it sounds like I am being insincere, but I am totally not!

      Delete